Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pugliese Vineyards Raffaello White Port


Pugliese Vineyard opened its winery in 1980.  This winery is a family owned and operated vineyard that is most notable for their full - bodied Red and Ice Wines that feature the Gewurztraminer grape, not only does Pulgliese specialize in wine but beautifully designed bottles and glasses that make their wines have a signature look and feel to them.



One of my wine adventures led me to Pugliese Vineyards where I tasted and brought home a bottle of Pugliese Vineyards Raffaello White Port.  For those who may not be too familiar with what a Port wine is, it is a wine making making process that originated in the Douro Valley in Portugal.  Most Port wines are red wines that are typically richer, sweeter, heavier, and have a much higher alcohol content than most other wines.  Port wines are aged in oak barrels.  Port wines are known to be dessert wines, and they say that storing Port is very easy.  Keep the bottle cool, on its side and in a dark place.  To serve a Port wine requires no extra work either.  It can be served un-chilled... well it can be served at the temperature that it should be stored at 60 degrees to 70 degrees.  However, I found that the Pugliese Raffaello White Port has a better taste when served cold.  Once I put an ice cube in my glass the wine I found the Port much more enjoyable. 

I found that the Rafaello is much lighter than most Port wines I have tried.  I also found it to have a crisp, fresher taste as well. There is a note of the oak taste to it that is masked nicely by the sweet smoothness this Port has to offer. While I did not get the chance to pair it with a dessert, I would say that if I had to pair this Port I would choose to pair it with fresh cut pears, or maybe even some grilled pears in a light sauce that has a hint of the Raffaello Port wine in it. 

Here are the tasters’ notes from the winery:
Raffaello White Port 2007
A truly extraordinary dessert wine, Raffaello White Port provides a light and sweet contrast to Pugliese's fuller bodied Ports. This fine port is an excellent apéritif, and it accompanies cheeses and biscuits well. 

You can taste this Port Wine at:
Main Road
Cutchogue, Long Island NY
Phone: 631. 734. 4057

No comments:

Post a Comment